Re: [Xen-users] Xen sources express vs RHEL5 xen

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen sources express vs RHEL5 xen
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 04:36:43 +0000
Cc: Arpan Jindal <jindalarpan@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 20:37:29 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Could any one let me know if there is any difference between xen source
> express and xen that come with RHEL5.
>

> as i am not able to get that information.

Xen Express is a limited version of XenServer, for people to try out and learn
about.  XenServer is a product of Citrix / XenSource.  It uses the Xen
Hypervisor but has different control tools / user interface.  It completely
takes over the machine you install it on and turns it into an appliance for
running virtual machines.  XenServer includes management tools which run on
Windows; you use these to control the virtual machines.  Accelerated disk and
network drivers for Windows guests are included.

RHEL5 is a general purpose operating system for servers.  It includes a
version of Open Source Xen, including the Xen hypervisor and some open source
tools for managing it.  When you add Xen to a RHEL5 installation it keeps
working as a general purpose server OS but can also run virtual machines.
RHEL has a program called "virt-manager" which you can use to control your
VMs - it's more basic than XenServer but it's simple and open source.

CentOS is very similar to RHEL so the same comments apply to it.

Cheers,
Mark