[Xen-users] Re: Some questions from a novice

To: Sadique Puthen <sputhenp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Re: Some questions from a novice
From: Zhiming Wu <zhiming.wu.atgm@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 14:13:12 +0800
Cc: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 22:13:47 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:user-agent:mime-version:to:cc:subject:references:in-reply-to:content-type:content-transfer-encoding; bh=5XrCxObzgkce1Cb/lbuv3EdxVE8nIVpVg7uUyUSgIlk=; b=fbdiIwVCotbSWOk7jEKsb44wEo28r7CEjGzIDElXY6WfMXMN0zXLdS4dau/s3AZ59wEsR9x7msuWvaZsw31n6gLq960lR9x+6EgJv2huglaC0izboIDz9PMWPD03lAvIsIazh1pl1PvVg3lGhUohWYIRyVCCBhUDB57Buk9SylY=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Sadique,

Thank you very much for your detailed explanation.

Best Regards,
Zhiming Wu

Sadique Puthen wrote:
Zhiming Wu wrote:
Hello all,

I am a novice at Xen and I have some questions about it and I will
deeply appreciate the answer from any of you.

1. Can Xen be run on CPU that not support Virtualization Technology?
Because I have a Pentium M CPU that does not support VT.

There are two types of guests. para-virtualized and fully virtualized.
Para-virtualized guests run a modified kernel which understands that
it's running in a virtualized environment, hence does not require
emulation. Fully virtualized guests does the unmodified generic kernel
and requires everything to be emulated and which requires supprt VT.
Bottom line is that, to run para-virtualized guest VT is not needed, but
for fully virtualized guests VT is required.

2. What is each variety of Xen kernel for? For example kernel-2.6-xen,
kernel-2.6-xen0 and kernel-2.6-xenU. Which one should be used for the
host OS? What are the differences between kernel-2.6-xen and
kernel-2.6-xen0?

kernel-2.6-xen0 is the kernel which one need to run on the host kernel.
kernel-2.6-xenU is the one modified kernel to run on guest os. Acutally
you can run xen0 to boot your guests as well, but xenU kernel makes sure
that it only includes the required drivers for the guest to run.

New distributions like RHEL, Centos, Fedora and etc ship only one kernel
which is kernel-xen and is used to run both host and guests.

3. I have to build the customer Xen kernel to support some special
device, can a newer version, such as 2.6.23.9 used in my system now, of
linux kernel be used?

You have to either forward port xen to 2.6.23 or backward port your
patch to the current version. Fedora does forward porting, but it's
still at 2.6.21.

--Sadique
Thanks!

Best Regards,