Re: [Xen-users] Moving to Xen

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, uxbod@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Moving to Xen
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 03:16:03 +0000
Delivery-date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 19:16:47 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> First post so please be gentle! ;)

Hi :-)

> I am looking to switch to Xen from using VMware but would like a little
> help with my understanding.  My current setup is a CentOS5.1 server with a
> VMWare server instance installed on top of it.

OK.

> Am I able to install Xen and make my current CentOS installation the
> default domain without losing anything ?

You can install the Xen hypervisor and the -xen Linux kernel.  Install
virt-manager at the same time, it's good ;-)

This will just give you an extra grub boot option to boot into Xen rather than
into native Linux.  It'll probably boot into Xen by default from then on, but
you can always use the Grub menu to boot without Xen, then uninstall Xen from
your system.

You won't be able to run Xen and VMware server at the same time.

Your existing CentOS installation will become "domain 0", which is the
privileged management domain.  It'll still own the keyboard, the mouse, the
monitor and all the other devices.

> If this is possible then I would
> setup two additional domains 1) for the applications that were running in
> the default ie. www, smtp

You can easily create new CentOS, RHEL and Fedora domains using a handy
virt-manager GUI.  It can either create fully virtualised or paravirtualised
guests.  Paravirtualised has better performance, fully virtualised is needed
to support Windows, etc (and is only available if your hardware is new
enough).

> and the 2) moving the VMware server which runs
> Zimbra to a Xen domain.

If you actually want to move the virtual disk from VMware server to a Xen
domain, you might need to do some conversion steps to get it to work.

> Is my thinking correct ?  TIA.

Yep, that seems like a reasonable plan.

Cheers,
Mark