[Xen-users] xen networking troubles

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] xen networking troubles
From: "Sebastian Reitenbach" <sebastia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 18:15:56 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:16:37 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I want to switch my server into a Xen instance.

Right now there are 10 vlans ending up at the server. For each service that
the server provides, there is an alias IP address on each of the vlan
interfaces to serve the clients.

I want ot install xen, and divide the services into 4 virtual nodes. The
dom0 machine has three network interfaces, eth0, eth1, eth2. eth0 and eth1
are bonded together to serve the clients, eth2 is intended for the virtual
machines, to NFS mount needed remote filesystems.

I want to do this on sles10sp1 x86_64. This distri comes with xen 3.0.4.
The best thing I think would be if I create a bridge for each vlan, and then
let the domU's connect to each of the needed bridges. But xen 3.0. does only
support up to three? (at least not enough) interfaces per domU, and
therefore this is not possible.

Setup routing is also not working for me, because the server is not "behind"
the default gw of the clients, nor I do want to route all the traffic of the
clients through the firewall.

So there is more or less only NAT as the possible answer.

Then I need to configure bond0, with 10 vlan interfaces on top of it. Each
vlan interface will have an alias IP address for each service the virtual
nodes should provide. Then when traffic arrives on a given alias address on
a given vlan, the traffic should be redirected to a given destination domU.

After taking a closer look into the scripts, I am not sure, whether xen can
help me with its interal network scripts at all.

I commented out all network-script and  vif-script
in /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp. But after reboot, I still have 12 bridges
created by rcxend start. After a bit wondering, I figured out that bridge is
default when nothing else is speicified. However, I do not have a vif0.0,
nor a peth0 interface in the domU ifconfig output. Also a brctl show shows
that all bridges have no interfaces assigned.

I don't know, whether the xen network-scripts/vif-scripts can do this for
me, if so, can someone please point me to xen network documentation that
covers more than the most basic stuff?

Or, if not, do I can stop xend from creating these bridge interfaces, so
that I can create own firewall script to configure the NAT as I want (hope)
it will work?

The virtual interfaces as seen from the dom0 for the domU's are named
dynamically. Is there a way to force these to the name of the domU? e.g. one
of my domUs is named FTP, another one DNS. do I can name the virtual
Interfaces for one domain FTP.0, FTP.1 ... and for the other DNS.0
DNS.1, ...
Do I can do this in the VM config files below /etc/xen/vm in the vif
statement somehow?

I hope it is understandable, what I want to do, if not, let me kow, I'd be
happy to provide more information.

kind regards
Sebastian