Re: Xen Virtual Console xvc (Was: Re: [Xen-users] Pardon me for possibly

To: "jim burns" <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Xen Virtual Console xvc (Was: Re: [Xen-users] Pardon me for possibly dumb question but....)
From: "Todd Deshane" <deshantm@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 21:53:50 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 18:54:44 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:reply-to:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=FtuFFAPnad4EtQtOY/82ahXGvkuQtmGZsJaLyEnCCb8=; b=sUJCpdrLv5uEDqRyzZH4XOT0CN8R9eYeyE+n04WmUcM4dndfHZFeC88evh6jBGktn9oDWXAOk55XuFZ7f0iw9CcpACm7nOwhlt2JAibhxDvLHx6Hl1I4yhje4d7X27QmxDUyk0IB84SKStXmRuxGy6jSuRQZFBk7WOC5FBO2FWA=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Jan 27, 2008 9:35 PM, jim burns <jim_burn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sunday 27 January 2008 08:01:45 pm Todd Deshane wrote:
> xvc0 is a xen virtual console and does not correspond directly to a
> physical device that I am aware of.
>
> Yves-Gaël Chény seemed to have answered the second part of the question:
> > guest# vim /etc/inittab ### check that following line is present:
> >
> > x0:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 xvc0
> >
> > guest# echo xvc0 >> /etc/securetty

Actually, no. I know how it is setup in software. I'm wondering
what "physical" or virtual device I use to talk to (a)getty once the software
is setup. Eg, if there is a getty variant on /dev/ttyS0, I better have a
terminal or modem I'm talking with. If it's /dev/ttyn, I'm talking to a
virtual console accessed with ctrl-alt-n. Where do I have to go to get this
getty prompt to login on?

From my experience, the xen virtual console only works like the normal getty "login:" prompt on first boot of the guest. After that you use xm console to get into the guest. I am not sure if there is something on dom0 that can be accessed more directly or not. I think that is what you are asking, just to clarify.

Also as far as I know, you can only have one virtual console for a guest by default and you can do tricks to make other ones available I have heard you can, I don't have a reference on that I just heard it from someone. But the guest virtual consoles are not available with the standard ctr-alt-n automatically - this would take some extra work to accomplish

Any other advice or experience with guest virtual consoles?

As far as thread stealing goes, I suppose the real Subject for this thread
should be "Where is the documentation for the devices added since the 3.0
documentation?", like xvda, xvc0, etc.

The newest documentation can be built from sources and is still labelled Xen 3.0 User Manual.  Last I knew the user manual online was out of date, but it should be able to be updated based on the Xen 3.2 release source docs. Could this be setup to be created automatically after each release I wonder?

I also like your new thread subject idea. I would just recommend actually making that change so that others that follow looking for information can pick it out by subject. That is why I changed the subject of the first email and then this new thread response as well.

Best Regards,
Todd