Re: [Xen-users] XEN Networking Howto ?

To: Onkar <onkar.n.m@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] XEN Networking Howto ?
From: James Weeks <chiptoxic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 23:35:03 +0000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:03:34 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
If you are trying to configure your interface with something like yast i believe you have to do the following shutdown all vm's think /etc/init.d/xendomains stop will do that or xm shutdown <domain>

then you need to stop your xen networking bridge with the following (note this will mean your system is back using eth0 not peth0)

/etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge stop netdev=eth0

do your normal configuration of eth0 with yast, vi or whatever etc now like you normaly would then when ready restore your xen bridge again

/etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge start netdev=eth0

and finnaly restore your vm domains either using xm or xendomains

Im still new to xen but i remember doing this when i first started learning on suse so think this may help if you need to configure interfaces. But im guessing you have another problem as i cant see eth0 listed or any vif interface linked to your xenbr0 bridge so maybe the driver for your network cards not loaded.

But like i say im still new and learning. I think its worth looking to make sure your network card driver working as i dont think sit0 is a networking device as such. I think its stands for simple internet transition and is somthing to do with encapsulating ipv6 in ipv4 datagrams but this is the first time i seen the sit device so only did a very quick google search.

Onkar wrote:
I am using OpenSUSE and running Xen 3.1 on it . I am not able to connect to the internet. When I try to connect it gives me following message :

xen network bridge was detected due to the renaming of network interfaces
by xen bridge script network interfaces should not be configured or restarted
see /usr/share/doc/packages/xen
/README.SuSE

# brctl show
xenbr0          8000.000000000000       no
# ifconfig -a
lo Link encap:Local Loopback inet addr:127.0.0.1 <http://127.0.0.1/> Mask: 255.0.0.0 <http://255.0.0.0/>
          inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:2796 (2.7 Kb)  TX bytes:2796 (2.7 Kb)

sit0 Link encap:IPv6-in-IPv4 NOARP MTU:1480 Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

xenbr0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00 UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:238 (238.0 b)

Please help me as I am new to Xen.

Thanks & regards,
Onkar