Re: [Xen-users] Intel 965 Onboard Graphics and Xen 3.1 on CentOS 5.1

To: Tait Clarridge <Tait.Clarridge@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Intel 965 Onboard Graphics and Xen 3.1 on CentOS 5.1
From: Ralf Kaestner <Ralf.Kaestner@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 21:53:32 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 12:54:33 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
 "Tait Clarridge" wrote:

> i810 module where my regular CentOS5.1 install loads the i915. When trying to
> start X it tells me that there it cannot find ?/dev/agpgart? and

did you try this kernel patch?

http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/4/8/102

I assume its a 965GM intel gpu you have and your dom0 kernel is 2.6.18.
This patch should be implemented in 2.6.21 kernels and later, so if you find a
disto with a 2.6.21 or newer dom0 kernel it should work out of the box.
Just make sure the kernel has agpgart support and use the "intel" driver in
your x conf. I am not sure if the kernel requires the i810 or i915 for the
965gm chipset graphics, but if you have both available as kernel modules the
xserver will just choose the right one for your card.

I am using gentoo + 965gm with the default gentoo dom0 kernel (its a 2.6.18) +
the patch above and it runs fine at 1600x1050.
I had similar issues (no agpgart) without the patch. The patch is very simple
and just adds the 965gm chipset pci ids.

you should check your dmesg and it should report something like:

Dec  3 10:07:49 gbox agpgart: Detected an Intel 965GM Chipset.
Dec  3 10:07:49 gbox agpgart: Detected 7676K stolen memory.
Dec  3 10:07:49 gbox agpgart: AGP aperture is 256M @ 0xe0000000

if not - your kernel does not support the chipset graphic.

Ralf