[Xen-users] Intel 965 Onboard Graphics and Xen 3.1 on CentOS 5.1

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Intel 965 Onboard Graphics and Xen 3.1 on CentOS 5.1
From: "Tait Clarridge" <Tait.Clarridge@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:05:03 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 07:06:34 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello All,

This is my first post here but I have been reading these mailing lists for a while and I doubt I would have made any progress without them. I guess it is my turn to ask for some help now.

As a background to Xen I have had experiencing using it on Sun X4100s and X4600s and have those working very well from open source, it took some tweaking but they are running rock solid. My new problem is kind of driving me up the wall and I am hoping that an answer can be found here.

I am trying to get Xen 3.1 (Open-Source) running on my Toshiba Tecra A9. I tried almost every distro I could think of to get everything working correctly and they all have the same problem. When booting into Xen at the point where X11 is supposed to start, it doesn’t claiming that I have “no screens found”. This is a strange problem as I have built the proper display drivers into my Xen dom0 kernel and on a normal 2.6.18 kernel the display has no problem firing up.

I have been trying to trace the problem and have gone through everything I can think of, the Xen kernel seems to try and load the i810 module where my regular CentOS5.1 install loads the i915. When trying to start X it tells me that there it cannot find “/dev/agpgart” and that AGPGART failed to render due to an invalid video ram problem (which is probably because the i810 kernel module isn’t for the 965 chipset). I then tried to manually load the i915 module (which subsequently loads the drm module) which gives me the error:

                “drm: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module

                 I915: disagrees about version of symbol struct_module”

Then it fails to load the modules properly. I also tried copying the modules from my 2.6.23 kernel over to the xen kernel to see if that was the issue and I get the same problem. I can load the X window system using the vesa driver but it is a little too slow, which is why I wish this to work.

So I am hoping that maybe some other people are having this problem so we can work on fixing it. I was thinking about moving to the 2.6.23 kernel and trying to manually build a xen version of it, and was wondering if anyone has had any luck trying to build a custom xen dom0 kernel.

Alright, that was a lot of questions haha.

Thanks in advance,

Tait Clarridge