Re: [Xen-users] Xen Over SuSE 10.3 - Dog Catches Car - Thank you Jim and

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen Over SuSE 10.3 - Dog Catches Car - Thank you Jim and Jonathon
From: Jonathan Ervine <jervine@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:09:53 +0800
Delivery-date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 18:11:26 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Saturday 12 January 2008 08:36:35 Pyrrhic wrote:
> Question: Why does the xen.org downloads repository still have the
> 2.16.18 kernel?  Shouldn't it be updated for Suse 10 to the later
> kernel?  IF this is a case of a mismatch between the rpms and the
> type of SuSE I am running couldn't this be clarified for other
> newbies?  Shouldn't instructions be added for people going to this
> download site suggesting to them it might be wiser to install Xen at
> SuSE install time or to use YaST?  This all cost me a staggering
> amount of time...

That particular web site for downloading Xen RPMs is not well labelled
in my opinion. It is listing RPMs available for openSUSE 10 which,
admittedly being pedantic here, isn't an actual released distribution.
The first distribution to be released as openSUSE was 10.2 with prior
releases called SUSE Linux 10.1 and SUSE Linux 10.0.

There is however, SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10 available (the
important point here being the full name and lack of decimal point). As
the other downloads on that page are for RHEL, I would be 99.999%
certain that the 'openSUSE 10' download is _actually_ meant for SLES
10. This is further confirmed as SLES 10 uses the 2.6.18 series of
kernels.

For openSUSE (and I would suspect the majority of distributions) you're
far better off installing the version(s) of Xen that have been supplied
with the distribution, particularly if you're new to Xen, as Jim has
pointed you to doing. I'm pleased to hear that everything seems to be
working now. As a new user I'd suggest starting with trying a
para-virtual installation of openSUSE 10.3. Admittedly, not the most
exciting installation to perform (openSUSE on openSUSE), but it should
give you an initial idea of how Xen works on 10.3.

Good luck,
Jon