[Xen-users] Dom0 lockout

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Dom0 lockout
From: Gareth Bult <gareth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 23:08:16 +0000 (GMT)
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 15:09:03 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I've been struggling with Xen for a little while not and seem to have circumnavigated a number of issues ... but now I'm stuck.

I have a box with 4 x 2.8G Xeon cores and 6Gb of RAM.
It's running ~ 9 DomU's which are all doing different things.

Every now and again (random, 10 mins to 4 hours) the Dom0 will "pause". Effectively one or more processes will enter D state and stay there for 5 minutes or so, and these in turn are likely to lock up other processes.

(the first ones to go are always network related, either glusterfsd or mysql cluster storage)

After a while it all unwinds and carries on as normal .. and in the meantime the DomU's seem happy to continue irrespective of the Dom0's lockup.

It smells like a network related kernel parameter / table being filled and waiting for a timer to expire ...

Anyone got any ideas ?

tia
Gareth.