[Xen-users] Help needed configuring HVM domU with routed networking

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Help needed configuring HVM domU with routed networking
From: James Fidell <james@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 11:20:05 +0000
Delivery-date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 03:21:11 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm running CentOS 5.1 with all current updates:

xen-libs-3.0.3-41.el5
xen-3.0.3-41.el5
kernel-xen-devel-2.6.18-53.1.4.el5
kernel-xen-2.6.18-53.1.4.el5

and have a domU config file from another server which works.  The
difference is that on this machine I want to use routed rather than
bridged networking.  In bridging mode the domU works fine, but I
can't use bridging on this particular server.

I have modified /etc/xen/config.sxp, commenting out

  (network-script network-bridge)
  (vif-script vif-bridge)

and uncommenting

  (network-script network-route)
  (vif-script     vif-route)

I've also changed the vif line in the domU config file to:

  vif = [ 'ip=aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd, vifname=veth1' ]

The domU now boots, but has no eth0 interface (the driver doesn't load
in the domU because it can't find a suitable device).

Is there anything obvious I might have done wrong or missed out?  There
are no obvious ethernet-related errors in the logs.

Thanks,
James