Re: [Xen-users] Increasing throughput on xen bridges

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Increasing throughput on xen bridges
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 00:50:57 +0000
Cc: carlopmart <carlopmart@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 16:51:34 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   I have a rhel 5.1 xen server with two rhel 3 ES hvm guests installed.
> Both rhel3 guests use an internal xen bridge (xenbr1) which it isn't binded
> to any physical interface host. On this bridge throughput it is very very
> poor, only 2.5 Mbs. How can I increase this throughput???

The bridge driver does add overhead but I suspect that your poor performance
is more likely due to the HVM emulation of the network card than the bridge
driver.

If there's a Linux 2.6 kernel available for RHEL 3, you might be able to
compile the PV drivers from the "unmodified_drivers" directory in the Xen
tree.  These would improve performance.

There were some patches posted to the list from Virtual Iron that enabled PV
drivers to be used under a Linux 2.4-based kernel, which would enable you to
compile against a 2.4 kernel in your HVM machine.

The above suggestions would mean that you keep using a RHEL3 kernel in the HVM
virtual machine but just add PV drivers.

Finally, http://xen.org/download/dl_304guest_rhel3.html contains a download
link for a Xen-patched 2.4.21 kernel for RHEL 3.8.  This is not an official
RedHat supported kernel, since it's been patched by XenSource.  Therefore it
could perhaps impact your support agreement...  But if you converted to a PV
domain using it you might improve performance, particularly for network.

This suggestion differs in that you would actually be converting from using an
HVM domain to using a PV domain with an entirely different kernel.

Cheers.
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!