Re: [Xen-users] Shared storage in Xen Cluster

On 1/4/08, chetan saundankar <chetan.lists@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 1. I would have liked to have a non intrusive solution for
> implementing COW but it seems that for the time being I need to
> install COW capable drivers in domU which means when I try to deploy
> guests in automated fashion, I will have to carry out something like
> remote installations into guest domains which is going be a tedious
> task as there are no standard API's for such a task (or is it there?
> if no error/exception handling is a worry)

since you're using file-backed storage for DomU's, try qemu's qcow (or
qcow2) format.  it let's you define a 'backing' storage for each
image.

> 3. You have also stated in your mail that performance of guests within
> COW solutions suffers to an extent. I would like to have more pointers
> on this performance issue and if there are any optimizations that can
> be done in order to achieve a better performance.

i think that by choosing to use file images over NFS, you've already
chosen on low performance.  COW overhead might not be significant
after that.

--
Javier