[Xen-users] problems with shutdown/destroy domain and pci devices

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] problems with shutdown/destroy domain and pci devices
From: "Michael Nelson" <mikenel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 20:12:17 -0800
Delivery-date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 20:13:33 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have a DomU with a PCI card assigned to it (Digium 4-port analog voice card) running on Xen 3.1.0 + Linux 2.6.18 (Dom0 & DomU use the same kernel). No special patches or modifications.

I’ve noticed on one particular class of machine that either the board’s drivers, Xen, or maybe the machine don’t cope well with regular shutdowns or domain destroys unless the card’s drivers are unloaded first. Most of the devices on the PCI bus (hard drives, network card, etc…) go AWOL and we have to hard reboot the machine.  In the shutdown case, the Digium driver (wctdm.c), will complain “TDM PCI Master abort”. On the physical machine console, all cases lead to a long procession of:

            hda: lost interrupt

            hda: dma_timer_expiry : dma status == 0x24

            hda: DMA interrupt recovery

I can still type on the console, but as soon as I do something that, presumably, needs hda, it will continue to echo characters but otherwise won’t respond.

Every once in a blue moon the machine will miraculously recover itself after a few minutes.

I have another machine with a different motherboard/CPU that doesn’t mind at all when I shutdown/destroy domains. It has the same PCI board and version of software as the machine that doesn’t work.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

-mike