Re: [Xen-users] Routed dom0 setup problem -- second time around

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Routed dom0 setup problem -- second time around
From: Rich Wales <richw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 10:56:53 -0800
Delivery-date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 10:57:24 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Stephan Seitz wrote:

> Sorry, I missed this.  I've never used xen with network-route.

OK, thanks anyway for your willingness to try to help.

> A similar problem has been discussed here:
> http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-03/msg00954.html

I do need to say that it doesn't give me extreme confidence when I see
something (like the above) where someone asked -- almost two years ago --
if anyone had ever successfully set up Shorewall with network-route, and
NO ONE REPLIED. (!)

Once again, if ANYONE out there has successfully set up a routed Xen
configuration (routed, NOT bridged), I would be EXTREMELY grateful if
you could help me out with the details.  I've tried everything I've been
able to find on the net so far regarding this, and so far at least, it
simply DOES NOT WORK for me AT ALL.  I've seen numerous descriptions on
the net claiming a routed configuration is easy, but I simply can't get
it to work -- I can't even get a domU to start -- when I try, I get some
cryptic comments about vif-route failing to set up a network link, and
the domU drops dead.  (Even when I use "xm create -c" to connect to the
domU's console immediately, it's no use -- I never see any output from
the domU console -- the domU apparently never starts, or else dies right
away and never has a chance to do anything at all.)

--
Rich Wales      ===      Palo Alto, CA, USA      ===     richw@xxxxxxxxx
http://www.richw.org   ===   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Richwales