[Xen-users] passing vga=<mode> to xen kernel

To: Xen <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] passing vga=<mode> to xen kernel
From: Jason Solan <jsolan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 09:32:11 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 06:34:10 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
How can I pass a vga mode to the kernel on a dom0?
I have a system that I can't get to display on any of my monitors, it
keeps saying out of range.  This happens as soon as the kernel starts
booting (meaning its not an X problem).
Based on my understanding, I should be able to pass a vga mode (i.e.
640x480 8bit color) to the kernel and use that for booting.

title Fedora (2.6.21-2952.fc8xen)
        root (hd0,0)
        kernel /xen.gz-2.6.21-2952.fc8
        module /vmlinuz-2.6.21-2952.fc8xen ro root=/dev/md1 rhgb quiet
        module /initrd-2.6.21-2952.fc8xen.img

I've tried setting this on the kernel line of the grub config as well as
the first module line.  Neither seemed to make a difference.  Does this
parameter work for xen?

I'm using Fedora 8, is it just a problem with that distribution?

Booting into the normal kernel works fine.

Any suggestions?