Re: [Xen-users] Xen on RHEL 5.1 to para-virt Ubuntu Gusty

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, linuxmasterjedi@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen on RHEL 5.1 to para-virt Ubuntu Gusty
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 22:11:12 +0000
Delivery-date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 14:11:49 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   I'm looking for any information (tutorial / howto) to run Ubuntu (Gutsy)
> on a RHEL 5.1 XEN (2.6.18-53.1.4.el5xen)
>   I tried to install the para-virt Ubuntu from a remote mounted cd-rom
> available by HTTP like I did to install a paravirtualized RHEL 5.1
> inside the RHEL Xen ;)

Well, there are various ways you can tackle this.

I typically use an HVM install (full virtualisation) of Ubuntu onto RHEL
initially, since this is convenient and well supported by the virt-manager
tool.  I then convert this into a paravirtualised install if I want at a
later date.  This is an approach I quite like.

Or, there's a tool called "debootstrap" that will create a basic debian (or
ubuntu) filesystem in a directory.  You can put this onto a virtual disk by
simply mounting the filesystem on that disk into dom0 (e.g. using the lomount
utility from qemu, which is supplied with Xen) and then running debootstap
against that directory.

You ought to be able to chroot into that filesystem subsequently and use
apt-get to install a Xen-aware domU kernel and initrd.  When you're done with
editing the filesystem in dom0, umount it so that the guest can use it
safely.

Finally in dom0 you can create a config file to boot that virtual disk and use
pygrub to find and load the kernel from the guest's filesystem.

Hopefully one of those methods will suit you!  Let us know if you need more
help.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.