[Xen-users] number of exportable blockdevices seems to be limited

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] number of exportable blockdevices seems to be limited
From: "Ulf Kreutzberg" <Zaphrim@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 15:51:54 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 06:52:24 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi xen-users,

perhaps you can help me with the following:

I am trying to start about 30 (or even more if possible) domU on a host, each
domU gets 6 partitions (each partion is a logical LVM volume in dom0) and it
gets two NICs.
In Xen 3.0.3, kernel 2.6.16 32bit, there has been an issue with limited IRQs. I
now have compiled a Xen3.1, kernel 2.6.18 64bit, and raised nr_dynirqs to 768
as discussed in a threat on

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-devel/2006-12/msg00311.html

Perhaps this was not necessary in my case, but now I do not get any "running
out of IRQ" messages any more. But if domU 29 oder 30 starts, some vbds seem to
break down, a Kernel Panic in domU occurs, and maybe some block device of
another, earlier started domU disappears which causes that domU to hang.
So, finally my question is, is the overall number of exporteable block devices
limited and is there any (compiling-) option to fix this?

Workarounds like to export a lv as a pv for the domU and making a lvm
environment there are too dirty and will cost performance, I think.
But any suggestions are welcome. Perhaps some of you have experiences in that.
If you need more information, just let me know (hw is a dual quadcore xeon
L5310, 16G RAM on DELL 2950).

Many thanks in advance
and best regards,

Ulf