Re: [Xen-users] improve graphics perf on HVM guest

To: "Mark Williamson" <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] improve graphics perf on HVM guest
From: nooroon <nooroon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:58:19 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 01:59:04 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=5jit05lNKdvnvS/dw0d4CtGot/2Kf9Kieh21PoJDfrs=; b=ei50Y8HmJmQx2Yny8HcgH8C1rVvHmKCnXjJPCThHkhqU1DOvlK9rMnwqcJO2Y/NmHbzAw7wDrw2I5B7kOCzgSTR5Ema8GyFHxRAwdKbj8/BQ+TYEjpRGPoAWanFE+8MhHb60yCdGNhoIahGwzRJoMXQdAQkS10bXfoMwZOsm+Y0=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
and what about giving to Windows HVM the entire access to the graphic card.
It doesn't matter if my dom0 is headless, all I want it to do is to emulate the network card. I want dom0 to work as a firewall for domU.

2007/12/9, Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > If your Windows supports remote desktops (home Windows generally doesn't
> > but the more expensive versions do) then you may find that you can get
> > better graphics performance by connecting to it over the network using
> > rdesktop.
> >
> > You can also do rootless / seamless Windows virtualisation using remote
> > desktop (see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SeamlessVirtualization ,
> > http://www.cendio.com/seamlessrdp/).
> >
> > Improving the performance of the actual framebuffer device in Xen would
> > require some performance optimisations which I'm not well placed to
> > explain. If you actually want to hack on the code, then you could try
> > asking for hints on the xen-devel list.
>
> They also all support installing VNC. Most network based KVM's and
> hardware provided management tools are actually VNC. You do need to be
> careful about password management and security with it.

I was guessing that RDP would have better performance than VNC, but I could be
wrong...  In any case, I guess running VNC within the guest may give better
display performance than running it in dom0.

Cheers,
Mark

--
Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat?  And no pedals!
Dave: Skateboards have wheels.