Re: [Xen-users] multiple dom0s (was: Re: [Xen-devel] ragarding xen in sl

To: "P, Namitha" <Namitha.P@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] multiple dom0s (was: Re: [Xen-devel] ragarding xen in sles10)
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 01:59:02 +0000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 09 Dec 2007 17:59:49 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I loaded pciback module using modprobe and tried to unbind a pci device
> (IDE controller with pci id --00:1f.1) from PIIX_IDE and bind it to
> pciback. But it is giving error " write error: no such device".

Please remember that you shouldn't try and do this with a device you need to
use in dom0.  You can only do it with "spare" devices that dom0 doesn't need
to use in order to run (e.g. the IDE controller with dom0's disk attached
can't be passed through).  Whilst you're playing around with PCI device
assignment you would ideally use a testing machine that you don't care about,
in case you get something wrong.  Don't learn this stuff on an important
machine if you can help it!

If you want to pass a device through you need to make sure that a normal
driver in domain 0 does not grab it, otherwise pciback won't be able to seize
it.  This is quite a common problem, since the hotplug routines are very good
at loading the "real" device driver automatically, which is usually what you
want - but not in this case!

To make sure pciback does get the device you can do one of the following:

a) follow the instructions in section 1.ii at
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Assign_hardware_to_DomU_with_PCIBack_as_module

to manually unbind the device from the current driver and rebind to pciback
b) use the instructions in section 2 at the wiki page to modify modprobe.conf
to make sure that pciback gets a chance to grab the device before the normal
driver for that device does
c) compile pciback statically into the kernel and then put a pciback.hide
directive onto your kernel command line and reboot

I'd start off with a).  Using the instructions on the wiki page you can
manually unbind the device from whatever its current driver is.  In this
particular case I think the following command should do that for you:

echo -n "0000:00:1f.1" > "/sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:00:1f.1/driver/unbind"

That command is just a shorthand for what the instructions on the wiki do.

Then issue your other commands again:

> I am using following command to bind the device....
>
>  echo -n 0000:00:1f.1 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/new_slot
>  echo -n 0000:00:1f.1 > /sys/bus/pci/drivers/pciback/bind

and see if this works better.

Cheers,
Mark

> Why it is giving such error?