RE: [Xen-users] installation

To: <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] installation
From: "Russell Packer" <russell.packer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 11:04:45 -0000
Delivery-date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 03:05:32 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello Helen,

I'm sure everyone has their own preferences, but I've had a good deal of
success using Slackware as the dom0. It has been really simple for me - just a
basic Slackware install (you can just select the full 3Gb install if you like,
or trim it down to 300 Mb - the choice is yours). Start to finish for me is
about half an hour, assuming a full install on semi-modern hardware.

You then need to install the GRUB boot loader, available as a package

The grab a Xen binary, unpack it and run install.sh - I've found Xen 3.1.0 to
be stable enough for me.

Depending on your hardware, you may then also need to run mkinitrd

Modify your GRUB's menu.lst to include an entry for Xen

Create some additional loop devices

Reboot into the Xen kernel.