Re: [Xen-users] Changind Domain-ID

To: Pascal Nobus <pascal@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Changind Domain-ID
From: Stephan Seitz <s.seitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 05:34:58 +0000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 21:52:04 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Pascal Nobus schrieb:
> Sorry to bother again, but the ubuntu-7.10/Xen-3.10 setup is have more
> troubles then expected.
> Finaly got it working (disabled SMP, console, hwclock, libtls all changed).
> Now when playing with xm save, and backing up I bumped on another problem.

libtls shouldn't be a problem since month. just
apt-get install libc6-xen

also smp works really fine.

the console issue is nothing special, as xen domU's can use different kinds of
tty by design.
Which one to use is up to the admin, nevermind which default is used.

hwclock issue should be bugreported to the upstream maintainer as this could be
easily fixed.

> Each time a domain is shutdown, and then restarted with
> xm create <config-file>
> the Domain-ID is rising with one.
> Not a problem, but when then Domain-ID is other then the one that the
> image is created (2 in my instance) the networking doesn't work.
> It seems the DomU can't find the bridge
> Although in Dom0 ifconfig and brctl show bridge show the new number
> (vif<Domain-ID>.0)

your current problem is NOT the ID. This is caused by mac-address assigning
of the domU.
I bet, you didn't give a mac address in the domU config like
vif = [ 'mac=00:16:3e:de:ad:be, bridge=xenbr0' ]
so everytime the domU is booting it detects a new eth device, thinking that
the former one might come back.

> Can someone please advise, or point me to another distro where Xen with
> SMP and Raid-1 isn't a problem?

sorry, never faced any problem with smp or filesystems on raid. are you talking
of a softraid? never tried this, but you should use your md0 as a pv for a lvm.

Stephan Seitz
Senior System Administrator

*netz-haut* e.K.
multimediale kommunikation

zweierweg 22
97074 würzburg

fon: +49 931 2876247
fax: +49 931 2876248

web: www.netz-haut.de <http://www.netz-haut.de/>

registriergericht: amtsgericht würzburg, hra 5054