[Xen-users] what the H is this virbr0?

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] what the H is this virbr0?
From: Steven <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 12:17:15 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 04 Dec 2007 09:19:22 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I just tested in the lab the new CentOS 5.1 Xen and find out it breaks network connectivity, at least in my setup. It seems it is somehow making use of the 3.1 Xen version (altought I am not sure about that) but whatever changes it introduce is not documented at the location one would expect, the obvious new thing (at least for me) is this thing I will call out of guessing a virtual bridge, when I do an ifconfig on the dom0:

virbr0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF
inet addr:192.168.122.1 Bcast:192.168.122.255 This seems to change everything with regard to networking. I googgled a bit and read the following links but I could not find any explanation about what it is, what it does and why it breaks my setup:

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenNetworking
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/srg/netos/xen/readmes/user/user.html#SECTION03220000000000000000

Can anyone point to an official information source for this beast?

Regards,

--
Steven Dugway