Re: [Xen-users] Xen PV drivers for FreeBSD

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Igor Chubin <igor@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen PV drivers for FreeBSD
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2007 16:51:26 +0000
Delivery-date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 08:52:43 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > I think it would be interesting not only
> > > for me but for all who runs HVM domains
> > > FreeBSD.
> >
> > Wouldn't it be better to have PV FreeBSD kernel ?
> > (I think there is some support for it in 7.0 ?)

Fully PV FreeBSD kernel would be better but available PV drivers for HVM can
still be useful (and might be an easier goal).

I don't think that FreeBSD 7 includes Xen support but there is a branch of the
FreeBSD 7 tree available which has Xen support code in it.  This may not be
up-to-date wrt to the mainline 7 tree, though.

> It's really better ad for me,-
> but AFAIK porting is not finished
> and there are many restrictions when running-
> FreeBSD in PV mode.

The port actually worked, I think, but there was integration and cleanup work
required to make it suitable for inclusion in mainline FreeBSD.  Last I
heard, the project was stalled on that.  I think the project needs a new
maintainer if it's going to get anywhere.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!