Re: [Xen-users] Recommended partitioning for xen host

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Recommended partitioning for xen host
From: "john maclean" <jayeola@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 12:18:02 +0000
Delivery-date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 04:18:47 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=0KGMswKsvbLgOvgadhTGkFaavhRUgrgQVno2NlIlDj4=; b=Ubw+nyrljPlzsy8e8C0nDm0ho/eswGppc8UCZx8VHd33bftZ2t5DA/dti+UsXBYYmpGYNmZd+AH4D0KXFDolNiR9Zu/yXpBeTrbWJupjfIIBlQRf7ofQCrQvyrWZM70hM6RSNv0OV7K3NT7mkmZU5mzCnxgyWghjGCvL6qwGZ80=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
What about using a number of disks, one for dom0 and others for the
domUs? They would all be "fighting" I/O on the same disk, right?

disk one - dom0 with partitioning as suggested as above.
disk two - lvm for domUs.

On 26/11/2007, Geoff Kirk <geoff.k@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There shouldn't be anything special about partitioning for Xen just
> plenty of space for the guests you want to run. What you have planned
> sounds sensible enough. Usualy the main consideration is can the box
> handle all the work of all guests it will be running. Swap might be a
> little excessive for dom0. I usualy go with same amount of ram as i
> allocate to dom0 using dom0_mem as i would with any physical  system.
> 5gig for root is more than plenty to run xen.
>
> Geoff.
>
> Josh wrote:
> > Is there a recommended partitioning for dom0?
> >
> > Here's what I have planned.
> > /swap   2GB
> > /boot   100MB (ext3)
> > /       5GB (ext3)
> >
> > xenmachines  LVM volume group for the remaining diskspace
> >
> > dom0 will install in 5GB / and each domU will have a swap and root
> > logical volume in "xenmachines"
> >
> > Thank you,

John Maclean  - 07739 171 531
MSc (DIC)