From: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of kanour-xen
Sent: November 21, 2007 7:37 AM
To: Christian Lyra
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] PPPoE in DomU exits with error

kanour-xen wrote:
Christian Lyra wrote:
I am trying to setup my firewall in DomU. However, I have got a
 >>> little problem. My *pon dsl-provider *exits with following
 >>> message.
 > My firewall is a domU too, but it has control of the interface
 > connected to the internet, and pppoe works just fine. never tried
 > to do this with a bridge...

 What do you mean by domU has control over the interface?
I "hide" the interface from dom0 with pciback.hide=(xx:xx.x) in grub and present it to domU with pci = [ 'xx:xx.x' ]. So the domU has control of the real pci device.

I tried that already, but when I included pciback.hide=(xx:xx.x) in grub the card was still present. So, I then unbound it from /sys/...
I included pci =[..... and started domU. It was still the same.

At this moment I don't know what to do, but I will try to reinstall everything and try one more time with Debian Etch xen binary packages.

At this moment I am using Debian Lenny with binary xen from XenSource.

I am just wondering why the hiding with pciback.hide does not work for me?

Jiri

So, I did reinstall everything to Debian Etch. I am running xen from debian packages. But I just cannot make the pppoe work.

Please help!!!

I did hide the pci device on the boot. I checked that the driver (e1000) is not loaded in Dom0. I included pci statement in DomU config file. I checked that the devide was recognised and driver was loaded in DomU.

I have it all on HP DL145 G2 server. There is AMD dual core processor, 2GB ram, 2x Broadcom network card and I added Intel PCI card in the raiser board (PCI-X).

pppoeconf will discover pppoe on eth2 (intel 1G card) but when it tries to establish the connection. it fails with:

    Nov 18 09:44:40 alsfw01 pppd[1723]: Plugin rp-pppoe.so loaded.
    Nov 18 09:44:40 alsfw01 pppd[1723]: Linux kernel does not support
    PPPoE -- are you running 2.4.x?

Could anyone help me to troubleshoot it.
skype: linuxgo

Jiri

Hi.

Thanks very much for info.I am still working on it because I just cannot figure it out. In dom0 pppoe is working fine. In domU it is not working. Same kernel for both. Same automatic setup through pppoeconf.

I just don't know...

Jiri