[Xen-users] Network Issues/Questions

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Network Issues/Questions
From: Markus Gerber <markus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 09:07:15 +0100 (CET)
Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Nov 2007 00:07:41 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I'm new to Xen (and this mailing-list) and facing some problems with
the network. I'm stuck and don't know how to continue. And Google
isn't very helpful either...

My setup:
- Ubuntu 7.10 for dom0 and Debian 4.0 for all domU
- 4 physical NIC (DHCP from my ISP, internal LAN, DMZ & WLAN)
- 1 Dom as firewall/router
- 1 domU with internal services (DHCP-, LDAP-, SAMBA-, ... Server)
- 1 domU in DMZ as Webserver

My plan:
- xenbr0 where eth0 is in it and all my internal domX
- xenbr1 where eth1 is in it and all my DMZ domX
- xenbr2 where eth2 is in it (WLAN Access Point attached)
- xenbr3 where eth0, eth1, eth2 and eth3 for the firewall

What I have so far:
- Xen installed and dom0 running
- xenbr0, xenbr1, xenbr2 and xenbr3 created via custom script:
   #!/bin/sh
   dir=$(dirname "$0")
   "$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=0 netdev=eth0 bridge=xenbr0
   "$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=1 netdev=eth1 bridge=xenbr1
   "$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=2 netdev=eth2 bridge=xenbr2
   "$dir/network-bridge" "$@" vifnum=3 netdev=eth3 bridge=xenbr3
- dom1 with eth0 in it for testing with an internal machine
- dom2 with eth0-eth3 for the router/firewall (Both of them I start
manually)

My problems:
- When I reboot dom0, I get eth4 instead of eth0, eth5 instead of eth1
and eth6 instead of eth2. The bridges are created but no interfaces
are attached of course. I then have to put eth4's mac-address to eth0,
etc. and reboot again, to get eth0 - eth3 and the bridges. It never
change eth3's mac-address (where my cable-modem is attached to). What
did I do wrong that I have this behavior? Or is this 'as designed'?

My questions:
- What's the configuration for /etc/network/interfaces in dom0? So far
I have a fixed IP for eth0-eth2 and DHCP for eth3. Is this correct?
- Where do I have to configure DHCP? On eth3 in dom0, on xenbr3 or on
eth3 in domU of the firewall?
- Do I need to have the real Mac-Address on the physical eth0-eth3 and
Xen moves them to the right places or do I need to put em in the vif-
statement of each domU?
- Do the bridges need to have an IP-Address?
- What would be the best approached for remote accessing dom0? Through
an internal domX?

Uff, so many questions...

Thank you in advance for your tips and your help!

Regards,
Markus