[Xen-users] virsh vs. xm, and questions about different distributions of

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] virsh vs. xm, and questions about different distributions of Xen
From: "David Stone" <unclestoner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2007 10:59:34 -0500
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Nov 2007 08:00:16 -0800
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition; bh=fm75NSLUmTru7DegE65lxPrQv79GOQtTfQCD2R10I1Q=; b=HkR13hYwsK7F3/4ZO92Ekr019mKz6x0KkweMBhw6QDS5X6p9ExjGS5QHVRACxYdXq4Wi13Xw9P5Qjaeml08ywxS+aAM5OVWd6JDeCmHzu4pL1jrs58B2WgYcNuL864smvyDW+EVSpwPnI10ri448PPutlafR5Sxbnuph81gM/qU=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Virsh (the xm-like tool that comes with libvirt) uses .xml files to
define and describe DomUs.  xm uses simple configuration files to
define and describe DomUs.  Is there any interoperability between
these two?  Like can virsh take an xm DomU config file, or vice versa?
 Or is there a tool to translate between them?

On a somewhat related note, can anyone tell me at a high level what is
different between the "vanilla" Xen source/distribution, and the Xen
source/distribution that comes with, for example, Fedora?  I know
Fedora includes libvirt when you choose "Virtualization" during
install, but I'm interested in changes made to the source by Fedora at
a lower level, for example:
 - Changes to the hypervisor itself
 - Changes to the paravirtualized kernel
 - Changes to various support files and scripts...for example all the
stuff in /etc/xen/scripts.

Thanks,
Dave