Re: [Xen-users] suspect cpu utilization level

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] suspect cpu utilization level
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 17:16:24 +0100
Cc: Marco Strullato <marco.strullato@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:17:40 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Hi all, I've a linux dom0, a dom1 winxp sp2 (WinXP) and another winxp sp2
> with 2 vcpu (WinXP_02)
> Dom2 uses all the dom0 idle: I mean this vm uses too much resources, it
> seems something wrong in configuration.
>
> This is strange because the other win xp uses very few resources

Are the guests completely identical?  It does seem strange that it's using
more resources if they're the same.

> I'll attach some useful output..

<snip>

> I changed the xen scheduler giving more weight to WinXP_02 but it wasn't
> useful
> [root@localhost ~]# xm sched-credit
> Name                              ID Weight Cap
> Domain-0                           0    256    0
> WinXP                              5    256    0
> WinXP_02                           4    512    0

Giving more weight to a domain will cause it to run more, not less.  So
increasing the weight would be expected to increase its CPU utilisation (see
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/CreditScheduler).

> [root@localhost ~]# xm vcpu-list
> Name                              ID  VCPU   CPU State   Time(s) CPU
> Affinity
> Domain-0                           0     0     0   r--     822.8 any cpu
> Domain-0                           0     1     0   ---     431.7 any cpu
> WinXP                              5     0     0   -b-     139.1 any cpu
> WinXP                              5     1     0   -b-     140.2 any cpu
> WinXP_02                           4     0     0   ---     624.8 any cpu
> WinXP_02                           4     1     1   r--     621.8 any cpu

It says both domain 5's CPUs are blocked on IO, which suggests they're waiting
for IO and therefore can't run.

It looks like domain 4 isn't blocked on IO and so it's continuing to run.

By the way, it looks like you have two vcpus in dom0?  That's not usually
necessary; giving dom0 just one vcpu should still enable it to serve other
domains well and will leave more CPU time for other uses.

Does that help you somewhat?  What are you expected / wanting to happen?

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!