Re: [Xen-users] xen in in the stock linux kernel...

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007, Mark Williamson wrote:

or should I just go download it and try it out? I'll try to find time for
that.

You can grab it from Linus' git tree, or you can probably download a snapshot
of that tree.  Remember that you need to set your architecture to be PPro or
newer, otherwise the Xen option won't show up - that confused me for some
time a couple of days ago ;-)

Finally got around to trying this... but it looks like the kernel config options for XEN (and PARAVIRT) only exist in the arch/i386 tree :( ... I've been trying to use x86_64 for the year or more, but it sure seems to be an uphill path :(

So, I've found one small machine of mine that is an i386 build, but I can't seem to get the new kernel packaged up correctly... or maybe this only works with newer hypervisors? None of the boxes I currently have access to are running anything more current than 3.0.4

ERROR: Kernel image does not have a a.out9 header.
ERROR: Unrecognized image format
ERROR: Error constructing guest OS

and after monkeying around:

ERROR: Not a Xen-ELF image: '__xen_guest' section not found.
ERROR: Error constructing guest OS

I poked around on the wiki and in google, but I can't find
anything about getting a stock linux kernel to run... It seems
you want to copy the vmlinux file out of the top of the kernel
source tree, strip it, and gzip it ... that APPEARS to get the
right format of file that the xen tools will try to load... but
at that point I'm hosed... with the xen_guest message.

I'll try upgrading to a more current version of xen, but did not
like the 3.1.0 build procedures the last time I tried them ...

-Tom