Re: [Xen-users] paravirtualised gentoo on Fedora Core 7

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] paravirtualised gentoo on Fedora Core 7
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 16:37:18 +0100
Cc: andris@xxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 08:38:10 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I managed to set up paravirtualized Gentoo 2007.0 on my Fedora Core7 amd64
> Dom0 (2.6.20-2936.fc7xen kernel). I use pygrub, to boot Gentoo with fedora
> kernel and manually copied modules directory inside gentoo DomU image. Some
> problems (boot and 100% cpu usage by nash-hotplug) resolved by upgrading
> gentoo baselayout and making init.d script for killing nash on boot, plus
> added modules xennet and xenblk in autoload. But it seems to me very dirty
> approach.
>
> So the question is: do I always need to use exact fedora's Dom0
> kernel for DomUs for paravirtualization? Or I can make own gentoo domU
> kernel, like linux-2.6.20-xen-r5 and boot from it?

That should work, yes.

If a guest kernel requires newer features than your Xen offers (which is
technically possible) then it mightn't work.  However, with compatibility
code compiled into the guest kernel it'll run even on rather old Xens.  Since
your Xen comes from Fedora 7 it'll be fairly recent anyhow.

> Or it's completely
> wrong? I tried to make gentoo linux-2.6.20-xen-r5 DomU kernel and boot from
> it, but couldn't get vnc console up for that kernel, althought DomU was
> active and running.

Well, that's a start.  Did you configure the Xen framebuffer device (and
framebuffer console) into the kernel?  If not then you wouldn't be able to
access the PV framebuffer from dom0.

> Also if I update Dom0 kernel, do I need to do it for my paravirtualized
> DomU's too?

No, they're independent.

Cheers,
Mark