Re: [Xen-users] Boot error with 2.6.23 domU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Boot error with 2.6.23 domU
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 15:49:58 +0100
Cc: Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@xxxxxxxx>, Zoltan HERPAI <wigyori@xxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 07:50:44 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > I compiled a 2.6.23 kernel with domU support, but the following error
> > shows up when I try to boot it on a Xen-3.1.0:
> >
> > Error: (2, 'Invalid kernel', 'xc_dom_find_loader: no loader found\n')
>
> Yep, same here.
>
> Is there a fine manual somewhere on how to boot a 2.6.23 domU with Xen
> 3.1.x?

Good to see that people are trying out the new Xen support in mainline!

To boot under Xen you need to use a vmlinux / vmlinuz image.  Were you guys
perhaps trying to use the bzImage?  That won't work (yet).

The vmlinux that's in the root of your kernel build tree ought to work.  I
stripped and gziped mine to get a much, much smaller vmlinuz file and used it
to boot a Xen domain for the first time last night - worked fine.

Mainline should support virtual block, virtual network, virtual console, SMP,
etc but not live migration, suspend-resume, framebuffer, or anything
involving dom0 functionality or direct device access.

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!