Re: [Xen-users] RESOLVED: Broadcom NetXtreme II (DELL 1950)

To: "Fajar A. Nugraha" <fajar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] RESOLVED: Broadcom NetXtreme II (DELL 1950)
From: Stefan de Konink <skinkie@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 22:39:50 +0200
Cc: spandaw@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 13:40:46 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Ok there are several issues with bridging:

*BUG* The bridging script doesn't take in account an ipv6 address can be
present in the ip addr command. This results in the (parent) network
interface not to come up again, because of a scripting error. It can be
fixed for IPv4 by adding a 'space' in the script after 'inet', I posted
some details in the Gentoo Bugtracker.

*STUPIDNESS* Broadcom nics in Dells get disabled if PXE boot is not
selected at boot. This results in an interface that cannot get a link,
because it does exists, but is not enabled.

*STUPIDNESS* You cannot set an IP address on the endpoint of a NIC. If
you want to manipulate a random subnet trough the bridge you should set
the bridge with an IP address in this subnet and not one of the 'to be
bridged' IP addresses.

*IDEA* I did disable the management code, I don't know if it is really
required.

So

eth1:0.0.0.0  ----  bridge  ---- tap0:0.0.0.0
                  192.168.0.1

and NOT:

eth1:192.168.0.1 ---- bridge ---- tap0:0.0.0.0

Interesting enough, if you put the IP address on the tap0 for example,
you would get a working routing configuration, but this is probably not
what you want to do.

I checked this config on the Xen machine and on an external machine
connected via eth1.

Stefan