Re: [Xen-users] how to install Windows without hardware support

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] how to install Windows without hardware support
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 02:53:38 +0100
Cc: suyash jape <suyashjape@xxxxxxxxx>, Nick Couchman <Nick.Couchman@xxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 18:54:38 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Yes.i agree paravirtualization is better.But i was wondering if we have no
> VT hardware and still want to put windows on Xen. Can Qemu VMs be managed
> through the xen interface.

The Xen interface can't manage QEmu VMs.  However, I understand the
virt-manager GUI Redhat ship is supposed to have support for both Qemu and
Xen VMs at some level, so maybe that would help you.

Other systems that can run Windows without VT / SVM with better performance
than plain QEmu are available too.  e.g. VMware's products, kQemu,
VirtualBox.  But none of these will run on a Xen host.

Cheers,
Mark

> Att.
> Artur
>
> On 10/2/07, suyash jape <suyashjape@xxxxxxxxx > wrote:
> > Hi all
> > 1) Is installing Windows on non-VT hardware possible....in full
> > virtualization mode.?
> >   Its clear that windows cannot be installed in paravirtualized mode
> > without VT hardware support. But can we install windows VMs in full
> > virtualization mode ( like VMware or Qemu )  in Xen.
> > What if someone cannot afford VT hardware and still wants to virtualize
> > his data center with Xen.
> > and is ready to take the performance hit , just for his Windows VMs.
> >
> > For this , do we have to use Qemu separately?
> > Can we incoporate these emulated Windows VMs with the other Xen VMs(linux
> > VMs ) for Xen VM management, considering only non -VT hardware.
> >
> > Thanks
> >  Suyash

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!