[Xen-users] PV guest kernel location

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] PV guest kernel location
From: Gregory Gee <gregory.gee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 23:39:41 -0400
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 20:40:56 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Still new at this and was wondering if someone could give me some pointers. I have Xen 3.0.4 running great with 5 PV guests. I just followed setup instructions from a few wiki pages. But the one thing I noticed, is that the guest kernel is on the host. Below is the cfg file for my mail server guest.

#  -*- mode: python; -*-
kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16.33-xen"
ramdisk = "/boot/initrd.img-2.6.16.33-xen"
memory = 256
name = "mail"
vif = ['bridge=xenbr0']
disk = ['file:/vserver/mail/guest_base2G.img,hda1,w','file:/vserver/mail/guest_swap256M.img,hda2,w','phy:data/mail,hda3,w']
ip = "192.168.10.43"
netmask = "255.255.255.0"
gateway = "192.168.10.1"
hostname = "mail"
root = "/dev/hda1 ro"
extra = "4"

I see post talking about 32bit guests on 64bit hosts. How do you do that? My main question is, how can I create a PV guest that is self contained for files? I want to pick up my guest and move it to another system without worrying if the same kernel is available on the new host. I can't seem to find a wiki that gives these types of instructions.

Can the kernel be copied into the guest and the guest boot from those file? How would my above cfg change?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.
Greg