Re: [Xen-users] Purchasing only the Windows PV drivers for Xen

To: Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Purchasing only the Windows PV drivers for Xen
From: Christian Horn <chorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2007 18:37:42 +0200
Cc: James Harper <james.harper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 09:38:09 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, Sep 07, 2007 at 01:26:32PM +0200, Tomasz Chmielewski wrote:
> Christian Horn schrieb:
> >I think its not the effort that is missing, but $amount_of_money that has
> >to go to Redmond for this.
>
> I don't see a conflict here.
> Just include it in price.
>
> Besides, do you think that every company which wrote a Windows driver
> has to pay Microsoft for each person who uses that driver? It's hard for
> me to believe.

There obviously is a need for a pv-windows-driver, and it doesnt exist
yet. The one part the driver would connect to is the opensourced xen.
So i conclude that

- it would take an effort too big to develop the driver as open source
- or closed information would be needed, only available under NDA
or smth.
- or parts would have to be included that had to be baught from
microsoft.

> >AFAIK novell offers the drivers as payware, if its not too wired into
> >the xen 3.0.4+patches they use for sles10sp1 maybe you can also stick with
> >all your current xen-setup and just use the para-drivers additionally.
>
> I think it only works with SLES.
> Which honestly, we don't need - we can support ourselves just fine.
Ok, understandable.

Christian