RE: [Xen-users] Error: ... Backend device not found.

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Error: ... Backend device not found.
From: "David Morris" <david.morris@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:51:04 -0700
Delivery-date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 14:51:45 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Couple additional suggestions
a. From your grub data, it appears you are using software raid on the dom0 ...
might be that
   your configured devices need to be mdX devices to match your kernel, etc.
b. you may need a 'root=/dev/hda2 rw' or some such in your config if it isn't
there
c. it appears from the config fragment that this is a paravirt installation?

This sounds like a problem I encountered when I tried to use virt-manager to
create a paravirt RHEL5 domU on RHEL5 dom0. I've fought so many alligators over
the past week that I'm not sure I found a solution or a way around it ....

I think I concluded that there was a fundamental disconnect between the
virt-manager PV setup and reality ... what I did that worked:
  a. with virt-manager, create an HVM guest (it worked)
  b. upgrade to Xen 3.1
  c. follow the steps in my post of last night to clone the HVM guest as a para
virt guest

btw ... you can check the number of loop devices in use with the 'losetup -a'
command. When I had my difficulties, I was using lvm devices so loop devices
was not the issue.