Re: [Xen-users] Xen future on workstation - dual head

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen future on workstation - dual head
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 03:55:59 +0100
Cc: Scott Serr <serrs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 19:56:28 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> I've seen info on the hacked fglrx driver...  but it would be quite a
> step back in Xen versions and linux kernel versions.

Ubuntu Feisty includes a restricted modules package that works with the Xen
dom0 kernel though.  I don't know for sure that this includes a working fglrx
kernel module, though - but it'd be cool if it worked out of the box,
wouldn't it?

Actually, I suspect you can just go ahead an install fglrx if you don't need
GL: the userspace portion of the driver is sufficient to do 2D, you just
won't get 3D acceleration.  I *think*.

> Others on this list, must do dual head on dom0, how?  Two cards and let
> X stitch them together?

That'd probably work too, but I guess it'd be a bit gross for you to have to
do that.

> In the future, what can I hope for....  concerning dom0 and HVMs.

In what respect in particular?  I'll go ahead and babble about stuff I think
is cool anyhow:

Xen isn't exactly a workstation-focused piece of software (KVM and VirtualBox
are open source products that are possibly more suitable in some ways).
However...  There's a neato project called VMGL
(http://www.cs.toronto.edu/~andreslc/xen-gl/) which allows you to get
accelerated OpenGL for a Linux virtual machine; this'll work with Xen and
also with other VM platforms.

It'd be nice to see the framebuffer support extended to give better 2D
acceleration in future.  It'd also be nice to see VMGL able to use a
Xen-specific shared memory transport, which ought to be faster and more
foolproof then the current solution of sending data over the network (eg. you
can stuff up networking without Quake disappearing!).

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!