Re: [Xen-users] HVM or not HVM?

> > There's a nice nutshell explanation at
> > http://virt.kernelnewbies.org/TechOverview. Basically certain operations
> > are *extremely* expensive to virtualization. Para-virtualized kernels
> > simply don't use those operations. (I use the word "simply" in a very
> > genteel sort of way, it's not that simple.)

Paravirt is faster because it avoids trapping and emulating pretty much
anything, and allows the guest to explicitly co-operate with the
virtualisation process.  HVM is a bit more heavyweight: it allows you to run
non-PV guests, but doing this implies you're doing more emulation.

The HVM hardware extensions are not inherently slower than using PV.  But
emulating a whole machine using them is.  This is partly because emulation of
some machine features is inefficient, and partly because some aspects of
virtualisation (e.g. shadow page tables) are not supported as efficiently by
current generations of HVM hardware as they could be (and will be in future).

The theoretical optimum would be to use PV *and* HVM at once.  i.e. use
paravirtualisation when it speeds things up or makes them more simple; use
emulation using HVM hardware when it cuts down the diff from the native
version of the OS, or when it allows optimisations.

An example would be that VT has acceleration for context switches.  This
could, in principle, be used to be used to accelerate context switches when
running PV guests but it currently isn't.  An "ideal" solution would use VT
to accelerate this when available, even for PV.

The approach of combining elements of hardware-supported virtualisation and
software-only paravirtualisation is sometimes called "hybrid virtualisation".
There's a paper on it from this years OLS:
https://ols2006.108.redhat.com/2007/Reprints/nakajima-Reprint.pdf

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.