Re: [Xen-users] Convert physical server to VM

To: "Chiu, PCM (Peter)" <P.C.M.Chiu@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Convert physical server to VM
From: Marc Patino Gómez <mpatino@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 15:23:44 +0200
Cc: Simon Gao <gao@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 06:22:48 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi,

Chiu, PCM (Peter) wrote:
Hi, there,

I am watching this thread with interest.

Marc, can you repeat the actual steps you do to set up Linux guest VMs,
especially the ones using 2.4 kernels.

I have tried similar steps you mentioned, apart from the cp -pr /lib/modules
into the guest OS disk, but when I start up the guest VM, it complains
If you are going to "full virtualitzed" a linux box you don't need to copy the kernel's modules, you will use the unmodified old OS kernel ones, and the old kernel (of course).
"boot loader didn't return any data!"

Have you copy the full HD? or only the partition?
It looks like something is missing to turn the root copied file system to be
bootable
as a guest VM.

Thanks.

Peter