[Xen-users] Dumping a partition instead of the whole disk ?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Dumping a partition instead of the whole disk ?
From: "Sebastien Caps" <seb@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2007 12:13:34 +0200
Delivery-date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 09:37:09 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I would like to know if there is a way to dump a partition
instead of the whole disk

so i would like to do
dd if=/dev/hda1 of=hda1.img

instead of

dd if=/dev/hda of=hda.img

And run it on xen after

Note : when i dump the whole disk the Windows XP
run pretty well with this modifications before dumping :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082/

I could create an empty disk create a partition with the same size and
dd if=hda1.img of=/dev/hda1 under xen with a boot rescue dsk but i don't if it
will work...

But is there an other/easier way to do that ?

Have a nice day,
--
Virer