Re: [Xen-users] 3.0.4: HVM XP Installation hangs on "Registration compon

To: "'xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] 3.0.4: HVM XP Installation hangs on "Registration components"
From: Denny Schierz <linuxmail@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 19:27:22 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:28:18 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hi,

Mark Williamson schrieb:
> When installing HVM operating systems using VNC to connect to the display, I
> sometimes found  that restarting my VNC viewer was necessary, otherwise it
> appeared to hang.  I'm not sure this is the solution to your problem

it isn't a vnc viewer problem, cause the splash screen (spots) are
changed every ~10 seconds (you now, "This Windows is now the best system
ever" bla bla ...).

> What hardware do you have?  What version of XP is it?

it is just a normal WinXP SP2 for company's. Not a OEM version or
something like that.

> How did you install your Xen?  Packages from Debian?  Packages from
> elsewhere?
> From source?

first i tried to use the Etch packages (3.0.3) but i was unable to start
the installation, so i installed the binary 3.0.4 packages from the xen
page. It was working out of the box for linux, accept the installation
problems with XP.

You have to reset the machine, restart the installation process (windows
setup does this automatically) and after a while (15-60min, don't know
exactly cause of sleeping ;-) ) the installation conquer this part and
goes through.

> I guess it possible that this may work better under Xen 3.1, if it's a bug
> that got fixed later on...

maybe, let me some days time to check it. :)

cu denny

ps. just a hint:

the link to download the xen-unstable.tar.gz is broken on
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/downloads/xen-unstable.hg.tar.gz

--
Stoppt den Überwachungswahn - Stoppt den Schäuble Katalog:
http://www.nopsis.de