[Xen-users] Advice on PCIe graphics card for Xen+X86_64 for X

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Advice on PCIe graphics card for Xen+X86_64 for X
From: Luis Torres <luis.torres@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 12:33:55 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 04:31:14 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

I used a ScienticLinux 5.0 distro (mimics RedHat 5.0 but merged the Server and Enterprise versions) in a x86_64 arch. I ran into a problem, because while I can have X in the normal kernel, the Xen kernel, when I boot in dom0 is in text mode and can't load the Nvidia module. This is because Nvidia does not support Xen. There seems to be some patches for other distros (Suse, freeBSD) but I am afraid those might not work here ... anyway I want to avoid this.

Also I was forced to install the OS in text mode, because the graphics card did not work out of the box with the distro. For what I want to do now, it is not essential to have a 3D graphics card. I want to have a dom0 for administration and to launch Linux as guests to create a virtual cluster (but where X should perform well in the guests).

The machine's Motherboard is Intel S5000XVNSATA and I have  PCIe slots available. The question are:
1) Could someone please provide details about currently available
graphic cards (PCIe) that work under Xen, kernel 2.1.18 (SL, RedHat) and x86_64 out of the box, so I could use X in both dom0 and domUs?

2) Is there a way that I could have both graphic cards installed so I could use the more powerful one when I boot with the normal kernel and the new one for Xen+X, when booting under the Xen kernel?

Regarding question 2), note that what I want to do is slightly different from what was discussed in the forum earlier. That is  only 1 card would be used for each booting configuration (but both would be physically in the system)

Thank you.

Regards,
Luis