Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.1 (pae-mode) causing domU's to crash if RAM above

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen 3.1 (pae-mode) causing domU's to crash if RAM above about 500-800MB is used
From: Ralph Passgang <ralph@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 17:55:46 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 08:53:43 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Am Donnerstag, 2. August 2007 16:25:02 schrieb Philippe Vanhaesendonck:
> Hi Ralph,
>
> If you look in the archives, I have reported exactly the same problem a
> week or two ago...
> (http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2007-07/msg00551.html
> for reference)

Yep, sounds like the very same problem.

But good to know that you compiled xen yourself and I made my own packages,
based on the pkg-xen teams work, with sources from the xen mercurial archive.
So we have not used exactly the same binary xen version..

Have you tried xen 3.0.x? Do you have the same problems then?
I just started to take a deeper look at this problem and might check xen 3.0
tomorrow, if you haven't already done this.

> I haven't got any reaction on it, except a couple people e-mailing
> privately to tell me they had the same problem ;)

Like usual, there are many people having the same problems but only a few are
reporting them.

If it's really related to pae and 3ware, then this is not just a "exotic
hardware" problem. 3ware controllers are quite common in sata based systems.

> Although this does not help you at all, I am somewhat happy that it is not
> an isolated case...

:)

Let's wait and see if some of the hardcore xen developers and supporters have
an idea...

> On the other hand, looking at your lspci, it seems that we are sharing the
> same kind of hardware (same chipset and 3ware card -- mine is a 9550SX )

I think mine is an 9550SX too, but I would have to open the servercase or at
least bring a screen to the place where the server is running to be really
sure about the exact model. But if it's really a 3ware problem, it is surely
affecting all 9xxx controllers anyways.

thx for your feedback!

--Ralph