Re: [Xen-users] external USB HDD exclusive for HVM domU?

To: Stephan Seitz <s.seitz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] external USB HDD exclusive for HVM domU?
From: Jason Solan <jsolan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 08:35:50 -0400
Cc: XEN User - listmembers <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 05:33:35 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I think there are actually a couple of ways to achieve this, though i've
only tested one.

Depending on the type of usb device, you can pass it to the HVM.
in your config file make sure you have:
usb=1
usbdevice="host:xxxx:yyyy"

where xxxx:yyyy is the "id" section in lsusb.

i.e.
[root@pyro xen]# lsusb
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 003: ID 05f3:0203 PI Engineering, Inc.
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
-----
i would put
usbdevice=host:05f3:0203

----
'host' is the correct word to use, not your actual server host name.

This potentially passes the usb device to the domU.  However i've only
gotten it to work with a few usb device (usb drive being one of the
successful ones).  All the others fail with "usb_host: only one
interface supported"

----
Secondly,
In theory, the usb drive should show up as a device when you plug it in,
i.e. /dev/sdb
I would think you should be able to add this to your disk parameter in
the config file and the domU will treat it as a normal disk.  I've not
tested that though.

----
Also you can use qemu to add/remove usb devices as long as
usb=1
is set in your config.  This is the same that option 1 does.  If you
have access to the qemu monitor, you can use

usb_add host:xxxx:yyyy

to add new usb devices.

I used http://qemu-forum.ipi.fi/viewtopic.php?t=1434
which helped clarify a few things.