RE: [Xen-users] boot a existing windows in hvm domain

To: "'Brady Chen'" <chenchp@xxxxxxxxx>, <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] boot a existing windows in hvm domain
From: "Artur Linhart - Linux communication" <AL.LINUX@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 08:50:00 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 23:47:45 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,

        I think in Your case - if windows is installed on a different hdd
like windows could is possible, just by the specification of the new HW
profile in Your windows version and specification of /dev/hdb as a virtual
disk for windows - possibly if in Windows it recognized the disk as D, then
could help to put some "dummy" disk as C into the DomU configuration file...

        I think the main problem will be get windows working with new
emulated hardware - maybe You should boot "natively" into the new
Xen-Hw-Profile, then deactivate all possible devices in this profile only,
then boot the windows as DomU with the Xen-Hw-Profile in safe mode and let
recognize the devices (emulated by xen) again in Your new HW-Profile...

        I could imagine this way is possible... Bu I did not tried it -
unfortunatelly I have on my notebook only 1 physical hdd with 1 windows and
+ linux partition and this makes it impossible to use the whole disk as a
source for the virtualization of DomU.

        Let me know, if this way described by me works, I am very interested
in this question...

        With best regards, Archie

        P.S. By the way - You know it probably, but - I think You should be
sure the /dev/hdb is not mounted in Dom0 at the time You will start DomU.