[Xen-users] peth0: received packet with own address as source address

To: xen users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] peth0: received packet with own address as source address
From: Matthew Haas <haas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 18:07:07 -0400
Delivery-date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 15:04:56 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
*** RESEND: I neglected to change subject line on previous post.
*** Sorry for the confusion/misleading subject. Been a long day.

Howdy,

 Wondering if anyone can shed any light on this:

I had a hard drive crash in a machine (P4 2.6GHz, Debian Etch, Xen 3.0.3), and being lazy, I took a new drive, partitioned and formatted, mounted as a slave into an existing machine, and did a:

     "cp -a /source/* /dest/"

Off a rescue disk, to get all the data copied over. I then went in and changed hostname and IP configuration in the appropriate places, restored both machines to operating order, and started them up.

Both machines come up and are accessible on the network. However, before too much time passes, the following messages start to appear on the console of both machines, and continue over time:

    peth0: received packet with  own address as source address

Googling for some clue, apparently this message appeared in certain Xen configurations, and was (presumably?) due to IPv6 configuration issues.. I don't even have IPv6 compiled into the kernels on these machines, so that doesn't appear to be my issue.

I've scrounged through the Xen scripts and believe I see where peth0 is being created and brought online, but I see nothing there that references an existing file to get ID from, or anything that would seem to create an interface with duplicate settings as the other machine.

Seems like some sort of static data was duplicated during the copy and is not auto-generated, so both machines see each other's traffic on peth0? Question is.. what/where?

 Any clues/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

 Thanks!

-Matthew
--
 Matthew Haas
 Visiting Instructor

  "Writing should be like breathing;
   It is one of those important things we do." -- me