Re: [Xen-users] Hot backup vs (local) live migration

On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Claris Castillo wrote:

Hi, this is the third time I post this question to the list but I have not
received any response.

It is not clear to me why the live migration technique used by Xen and
documented at
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/srg/netos/papers/2005-migration-nsdi-pre.pdf
can't be used to perform a hot backup of a virtual machine. Based on the
paper, just  before
shutting down and destroying the original VM, there is an exact clone of it
in the remote/destination host.

I haven't looked at that PDF, but there's nothing magic about a migration. It copies the memory and CPU state of the guest. In short I copies everything you generally would not back up (memory and cpu state), and copies nothing that normally you would backup (no files have been copied).

-Tom