[Xen-users] Using thin clients with xen images on server?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Using thin clients with xen images on server?
From: Mark Clarke <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 23:10:32 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 14:10:30 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

I would like to know if the following is possible:

Option A
=========
Thin clients which network boots and the server gives it a virtual workstation. The thin client just displays the screen, similar to a terminal server but with a complete environment for the user on the server. The reason I want to do this instead of just using a linux terminal server is that each user may need to install stuff like php applications to test etc. i.e development machines.

Option B
=========
I couldn't find any info on doing this and had decided that I would have to

1) Buy a bunch of entry level pcs,
2) On boot up get DOM0 to run and then to go and fetch an image off the server and then download it to the local machine and start it up.

I then heard on a podcast a guy from vmware saying that option A is what they have some of their clients doing.

Any tips for doing this with XEN?

thanks

Mark
Cyber Designs - Put your business on the net
http://www.CyberDesigns.co.za

Jumping Bean - Your Java and Linux Experts
http://www.JumpingBean.co.za

Tel: 011-781 80 14
Fax: 011-781 80 15
Disclaimer

and do not necessarily represent those of the company. Employees of Cyber
Designs are expressly required not to make defamatory statements and not to
infringe or authorize any infringement of copyright or any other legal right by
email communications. Any such communication is contrary to company policy and
outside the scope of the employment of the individual concerned. The company
will not accept any liability in respect of such communication, and the
employee responsible will be personally liable for any damages or other
liability arising.