[Xen-users] FAQ Question 1.1; Hardware specififications

To: xen-users <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] FAQ Question 1.1; Hardware specififications
From: Lev Lafayette <lev@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:36:34 +1000
Delivery-date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 16:34:42 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
There are some minor but significant differences between the FAQ and the
User's Manual..

1.1. What is Xen?

Xen is a virtual machine monitor (VMM) for x86-compatible computers. Xen
can securely execute multiple virtual machines, each running its own OS,
on a single physical system with close-to-native performance.

However the User's Manual (3.0) states:

1.3 Hardware Support

Xen currently runs on the x86 architecture, requiring a “P6” or newer
processor (e.g. Pentium Pro, Celeron, Pentium II, Pentium III, Pentium
IV, Xeon, AMD Athlon, AMD Duron). Multiprocessor machines are supported,
and there is support for Hyper- Threading (SMT). In addition, ports to
IA64 and Power architectures are in progress.

I think it's (FAQ-level) important to mention the minimum processor for
the latest version and mention that earlier versions can use older
processors(?).

If someone can confirm that the User's Guide is accurate I'll make the
change.

All the best,

Lev

1) http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/XenFaq